Sunday, December 18, 2011

Automatic Updates - Things I ... Dislike

Ever wonder why your PC or laptop takes longer & longer to boot, seems a bit sluggish?  You may have a bunch of applications starting up automatically.  Worse, most remain active.  I have chosen Java as my application for this complaint.

Java's default setting, upon install is to automatically check for updates. 
So, after I installed Java the last time, I unchecked this option.  However, Java did not remove the app in the System Configuration's Startup list:
So, I had to reset that option, as well.

Now I have installed the latest update, the settings have returned.  And Java is one of those PESKY program installations that offer a toolbar for Internet Explorer.  Once upon a time, toolbars had some functionality that was useful and downright desirable.  Not anymore.

The only program I permit to update automatically is Norton.  Actually, Norton no longer puts items in the Startup list.  For real-time anti-malware protection, I strongly recommend permitting automatic updates.

I've disabled Windows Updates as well.  I do not need it to run every time I boot my computer.  I don't recommend this to others - as annoying as they are, they are worth installing.

Now, I know everyone screams when they see the Adobe Flash update notice when it appears.  But at least Adobe runs the install, cleans up after itself, doesn't change any user-defined settings, and does not try to upgrade you to a paid version or sneak a toolbar or home page change in with the installation process. 

And they've set it up to only run when booting your system.  You won't be interrupted while streaming a movie or writing in a document where you might accidentally trigger an action from an unexpected pop-up.  That's one thing I like about Flash;  and that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment