Monday, June 25, 2012

I'm the Prognosticator

For the first time since IBM PCs burst onto the scene, Microsoft & their hardware partners have a machine - at least in prototype - that looks sleeker than its Apple counterpart.  In my opinion.

Surface

What the Windows machine has to include - and looks like it does:
  1. A touchscreen at least as friendly as the iOS & Droid counterparts, i.e., intuitive multi-touch
  2. Operable as a tablet only or with a keyboard - and the keyboard comes standard
  3. Runs onboard Office
  4. Will run at least 98% of legacy WinPC apps going back to XP
  5. Is friendly to Google and all of the Google apps
  6. Can print locally as well as from the Cloud - with simple setup
  7. Has full-size USB 3.0 port(s)
  8. Has GPS
  9. Priced competitively
  10. Built-in Classic menus with - yep, I'm asking for it, most will as well - the Start Button & Menu
So that's my short list.  I like what I've seen so far.

Here's a report from Good Morning Silicon Valley. Pictures, too, from Mercury News. Release info from Redmond Magazine, and then a review of Win8 running on an iPad from Redmond Magazine, also.

No comments:

Post a Comment