Thursday, January 26, 2012

As Good As New

Here's how I could have saved 50% on a new keyboard.  And why buying online can be better than in the store.

Used Can Be As Good As New
My old wireless keyboard had some sticky keys and other keys were becoming difficult to press if not pressed straight down.  I wanted a backlit, preferably wireless keyboard.  Gaming keyboards are normally backlit nowadays - but I didn't need the high-end quality that most gamers demand of their hardware.  Even though I yell at the screen from time to time, I'm not generally banging hard on the keyboard.
Still, the Logitech K800 Wireless, Backlit Keyboard was a big upgrade for me.  I found the $99.99 list price K800 at Staples on sale and, with another discount, bought it for about $70 last fall.  It comes with a manufacturer's 3-year warranty.

Buy.com is selling the very same K800 as refurbished for $49.99 through 01/31/12 with the same 3-year warranty.  Click here for this deal.  I certainly would have bought it here.
Logitech K800 Wireless, Backlit Keyboard
Some products are as good used as they are new.  Most come looking brand new, down to the plastic cling wrap over the glossy plastic body parts. 

I recommend Dell & HP's outlet sales, as they carry their own full warranty.  I find Dell's outlet website easier and with a better stock at most any time than HP.

I helped a client replace a PC and the savings were easily $250.  This Dell PC came with 6 GB of 1,333 Ghz RAM, Intel i5 Core processor, Gigabit LAN, 500 GB 7,200 RPM SATA2 hard drive and built-in wireless b-g-n LAN.  It cost under $450 delivered.

Logitech has a great reputation for most of their products and especially their keyboards & mice.  So, even though a used mechanical product might wear out more quickly, I recommend this one because it comes from a reputable company and offer the same-as-new warranty -- their warranty, not a 3rd party warranty.


Saving Money Through Warranty Coverage
I built my own desktop PC myself.  Since all of the parts were bought separately, I received - and used - the components' warranties that offered between 3 to 5 years of coverage (lifetime on the memory).  Under these manufacturers' warranties, I ended up replacing the motherboard, half the RAM, and the 1 TB hard drive.  Oh - yes, it paid to buy online, as I was easily able to recover my detailed sales receipts.

I might have saved some bucks by building it myself but I really saved on not paying to replace the failed hardware.

No comments:

Post a Comment